Thursday, January 10, 2013

Could You Go Through a Digital Detox?

Happy New Year everyone!  I know it's been a while since I have posted (ok - almost 4 months!), but I am going to try and make more of an effort this year to post lessons, ideas, videos, etc. of what we are doing in our Tech Lit class.

Today, I posed the question to my middle school students - could you go through a digital detox?  First of all, we had to come up with the meaning of "detox" which many students associated with drugs and alcohol.  I had one student define detox as "getting the poisons out of your body;" another student defined it as "giving up something."

I came across an episode of Dateline on Sunday night where they followed a group of twenty-something girls who went through digital detox for two weeks.  No cell phone, no Facebook, no Twitter, etc.  Check out the clips below:

Digital Detox Part 1:
Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy
Digital Detox Part 2:
Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

After I showed these clips to my students, we discussed if they could go through a digital detox.  I'm not even sure I could go without my phone or social media for two weeks!  Then I had my students take the following survey http://bit.ly/WSQMAV about their cell phone usage.  Feel free to take this survey yourself or share with your students!

No comments:

Post a Comment